Grape finds Peanut's sketch, setting the plot of the arc into motion.
Comic: "Misunderstood Artist" (click for full size)
|Number of Comics||9|
|Dates Published||July 14th - August 8th 2008|
Cat Tail is the 3rd arc in Housepets!.
This arc established that Grape is a girl.
Grape finds a sketch of a dog that Peanut drew, which Peanut is embarrassed about. As it turns out, the dog actually has a cat tail drawn on it, leading Grape to call him "sick". Peanut decides to prove that it's not a problem by showing the picture to Bino and other members of the Good Ol' Dogs Club, but they evict him due to the picture implying that he is a Cat-Lover. Peanut is down-hearted due to this when Joey asks if he can see it. Joey admits that he is in fact a Cat-Lover, and tells Peanut that he sometimes cosplays as a cat using a fur-suit. He also reveals to Peanut a much darker secret; he has a mouse girlfriend.
Peanut is stroken by Joey's secrets and now feeling even weirder about drawing the picture tells Grape about Joey. Grape comforts him saying that whether he is a Cat-Lover or not doesn't matter no matter what other pets may think. Grape apologizes about calling him "sick", and says that he doesn't have to feel bad about being different, just like how she doesn't have to hid her femininity when she hangs out with boys. Peanut is totally shocked to discover that Grape is a girl. Grape is amazed that Peanut didn't know, but in the end says that it doesn't matter whether she's a girl nor if Peanut is a cat-lover. She then invites him to make some Root Beer floats with her. During Grape's talking Peanut starts developing feelings for her.
- Peanut is removed from the Good Ol' Dogs Club for being a Cat-Lover.
- Joey is revealed to also be a Cat-Lover, will occasionally wear a fursuit to disguise as a cat, and is in a relationship with Squeak, a mouse.
- Grape is revealed to be a girl.
- Peanut first develops his crush on Grape, which would lead to the plot of many arcs later on.
- On July 21 the comic took a short hiatus, and Rick Griffin posted a picture of Peanut's sketch which the story arc revolves around.
- Grape's line in I Planned This Joke For An Awful Long Time, is used as the title of the first printed Housepets book, "Are Naked All The Time."